Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The stars at night...

...are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.

Everytime I go home; home to my roots, home to my daddy, this overcomes me. Perhaps it's because I adore stars. There is something about a clear night sky, away from the city lights that can really speak to you. I like to think, that no matter where I am, I can drive far enough away from the glow of the city to see the stars. It reminds me I can always go home.

Isn't home a funny word? When I think of the word home, I always think of 3 places.

First and for most, I think of my parent's house as home. I grew up in one house my entire life until I went to college. It's where I took my first steps, played my trumpet to blast out the dogs, its where I was loved, nutured and raised by my wonderful parents who shaped me into the person that I have become. It's also the place where I last saw my mother, and whereI know I will always be welcome. It's safety.

Home is also where the heart is. Currently, its a 3 bedroom house in North Austin. This is where my husband and I live with our roly poly, soon to be too fat to get out the door,dog. No matter where we live, my heart will always be at home when I'm with Michael.

Thirdly, I think that I'll always have Lubbock, Texas as a home. I lived there for almost 6 years, and during that time I grew, matured, made plenty of mistakes, and fell unequivocally in love.


I challenge you to go somewhere away from the glow of the city or town to take a moment of your life to gaze at the vast expanse of the night sky. It is such an amazing trip... I promise it'll be worth it.

After all, Michael always tells me the night he fell in love with me was the night I packed him, Claudia, and Krystal into my car and drove us into the cotton fields outside of Lubbock to gaze at the stars... completely ignoring the fact it was below freezing outside.

**********
On another completely selfish note, I encourage/ order/ demand you to become a blog follower. And tell your friends.


I am shameless.

--- Jessica G.

No comments:

Post a Comment