Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A letter from a Kindergarten Teacher...

I've really struggled lately with the events that happened last weekend in Connecticut. The whole thing has laid very heavily upon my heart, and has caused me a lot of worry.

So I wrote a blog; something that took me longer than normal to write. I sent it to Shauna Glenn for a chance to have her post it as a guest post. She had posted that she was looking for guest authors, but this wasn't a topic that was suggested under topics of interest.

You can view the original post here.

Be sure to check out Shauna's blog. I added her after running across her blog on babble.





I’ve been mulling around with these words in my head ever since last Friday morning.

I so wanted to write out my feeling immediately; I thought of some great things to say, but when I sat down at the computer to give it a go, I couldn’t do it.

But I think I am ready.

I am a kindergarten teacher.

I will lay down my life for my children. I’m not speaking of the children who are physically mine, I’m speaking of the 20 plus children that parents lovingly send to me.

They are my children. I love them; I discipline them; I teach them; I share the wonders of the world with them.

I would do anything for them.

I know that not every parent believes this (trust me, I am about 4 months into this teaching thing, and I haven’t made 20+ friends). But I would do anything I could do to protect your child, my student.

Since the tragedy on December 14th, I’ve worked tirelessly to try and figure it out. It’s overwhelmed me. It’s caused me panic. I’ve started locking my classroom door. I’m on high alert outside on the playground. And as much as I do these things for my own peace of mind, I do these for the parents too.

I know that across the country, security efforts in public schools have been amped up. Reaction in the moment is trying to prevent these horrendous acts, but we have to think long term. We have to look at what could’ve caused these problems (and no, it’s not guns) and try to prevent it before it goes too far.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we need to stop blaming guns. We need to stop making criminals famous. We need to mourn the lost, and let the families do so in private.

When each of my students walked through my door this morning, I hugged each and every one of them.

Hug your children and tell them you love them. Tell your child’s teacher you appreciate her (or him)—you never know when they might give their lives to give you another chance to tuck in your baby at night.


~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment