Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gluten Free Hamburger Helper(ish) Cheeseburger Mac

From time to time, I occasionally post recipes. And since today was the the first day in a long time I could a meal without butter, I thought I'd share the recipe.


I adapted the recipe to fit what I had on hand. The original recipe can be seen here. I did not create this recipe... I just adjusted it to what I had on hand. The original post is awesome and has pictures. I don't because I am lazy.

The original post called for ground beef (I used turkey) and for bullion powder. I omitted the bullion powder because I only have cubes. And have you ever tried to make a bullion cube into powder? I don't think you have.

Here we go.

Knock off Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Mac... Gluten Free.

First what you need to do is assemble the spice packet aka the white pouch that comes in the box of hamburger helper. Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and stir them all up!


Once you make the spice packet... or while you are making the spice packet, brown the ground turkey and drain (there won't be much grease to drain... turkey is soooo low fat). Keep the turkey in the skillet.  Mix the spice packet with 1/2 cup milk and add to the ground turkey. Add the water and pasta. Stir it all in and let it come to a simmer/boil on medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes on medium and reduce to low heat for 5 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add cheese, mix it in very well, and remove from heat. 

Serve while warm.

Spice Packet:
1 tp Brown Rice Flour (or a multipurpose GF flour mix)
1 TB Corn Starch
2 TB Chopped Onion (dried)
1 T Parsley
1 tp Onion Powder
1/2 tp Garlic Powder
1/2 tp Paprika
1/2 tp Sugar
1/4 tp thyme

Everything Else:
1 pound Ground Turkey (or Ground Beef...)
1 1/2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 Gluten Free Elbow pasta (I used Tinkyada and Scher to finish out what I had on had.)
3 cups water
1/2 cup Milk (I used organic whole milk...yum!)


--To make this not gluten free for those of you who can have gluten/wheat in your diets, just replace the brown rice flour with regular flour. Use regular elbow pasta instead of Gluten free. :)

Enjoy!

-Jessica G.

No comments:

Post a Comment