Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 3: Thankful for My Sister

When I was born in January of 1987, 5 days after my sister's 6th birthday, I am pretty sure she cringed. After all, she had SIX years of being my parent's only shining light. I was probably a big shock to her.

I assume this because there is a tale told about how she once tried to put me in the dryer.

But she did settle in to big sisterhood. She settled in so much, that I like to refer to her as my cruise director. She has been directing my life cruise since 1987. Not being a big sister myself, I don't know what it is like to be able to continually boss someone around. Its a job only a big sister can do.

And she does it so well.

Being six years apart meant that we were often at different life stages. She was in Jr. High when I started school. When she graduated high school, I was starting Jr. High. When she was getting married, I was starting college. As a result, we fought a lot.

But now, it's different. Even though I am younger, we are both now in the same life stage--marriage, family, jobs. And as an added bonus, we have the same career. We are both kindergarten teachers who actually teach together at the same school. My classroom is seriously just across the hall from hers.

I'm thankful for her because she is my sister, and although I think she is crazy and more like my mom than she is willing to admit, I don't know what I'd do without her. I am thankful that each day I am lucky enough to work with her--she is shaping me into becoming a better teacher.

I am also thankful (and I tell her all the time!) for the wonderful blessing that she brought into our family in August 2012.

So Abigail, you're pretty cool. But don't let it go to your head or anything.



What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment