Monday, December 30, 2013

Everdeen vs. Prior

I recently devoured the Divergent series, as I do with any good book... I read obsessively for days and then I mourn its loss when it is over. Usually I'll go back and immediately reread the series, but the books are in timeout. If I could put Veronica Roth in one for making me sad, I totally would.

I got to thinking about the strong female leads that have been portrayed in recent popular series. And I am not talking like Bella "I'm whiny and must have a man strong"; I'm talking about crazy, strong, indepedent, kick ass women. The kind Destiny's Child used to sing about... way back when.


So far, from what I've read, that leaves Katniss Everdeen and Beatrice Prior.


Katniss Everdeen


Katniss is basically one of those independent women who doesn't need anybody to take care of her OR her family. She's escaped death in an arena TWICE and she can shoot things with a bow and arrow. Plus, she can have boys fawning at her feet and it doesn't bother her. She is so badass, she started a revolution.

Beatrice Prior


At 16, Beatrice abandoned her family. She up and left her family and went to a new place that was dangerous and dared you to risk your life with everything you did. She can kick your butt, throw a knife at you, defy fear, truth, and death serums. While she does have a weakness for men, she doesn't let it rule who she is, and she can definitely live with or without them. In fact, she'll let them throw knives at her to save the life of someone else.



I can't decide who would win if you put them in an arena together. I'm j!ust thankful that these are strong women being portrayed in literature. As much as I adored the Twilight series, Bella was hellaciously annoying. I mean, seriously

Who do you think is the stronger character?

No comments:

Post a Comment