Monday, March 31, 2014

Gluten Free Stuffed Peppers

I've been out of the kitchen and blogosphere for a while. I haven't meant to... I've just been really stinking busy. Tonight though, I returned to the kitchen with a new recipe. This recipe I picked up from Shugary Sweets. However, I altered it a bit. The best part about these is that they are gluten free.

And my husband devoured his, even though they are healthy!



What you'll need
4-8 bell peppers (you can use assorted colors)
1 cup quinoa
1lb ground turkey
1 15 Oz Can Black beans drained (I used Bush's)
1 15 Oz Can Sweet Corn drained (I used low sodium)
1 15 Oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 cup mexican cheese
Garlic Salt and Cumin to taste
Your favorite Salsa

Large skillet
Roasting pan
Aluminum Foil

What you'll do

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Cook 1 cup quinoa as you would rice (1 cup dried quinoa, 2 cups water--I used my rice cooker and it was perfect!)

Prepare bell peppers. Either cut the tops off of them and de-seed them or cut them in half and de-seed. (This time I cut the tops off, next time I'm going to cut them in half...) Put them in roasting pan.

In skillet, brown and drain ground turkey. (I added a some garlic salt here.)

Once the meat has been browned and drained, add the black beans, corn, and crushed tomato. Mix and cook on medium low heat. Once the quinoa is finished, thoroughly mix it in with the meat/bean mixture. Add some cumin to taste.

Fill the peppers with the mixture.

Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil (I used the lid mine came with...) and place in over for 40 minutes.

Remove from oven, sprinkle generous amounts of cheese on top and return to oven for 5 minutes.

Remove from oven. Serve warm and with salsa for added flavor.

Enjoy!

***I had enough filling leftover to make two more meals from it. I cooked 4 peppers and I am confident that I could've gotten 4-6 more. It will freeze well, and will come in handy when Michael and I are staring at each at a loss for what to make for dinner.***

No comments:

Post a Comment