Thursday, July 2, 2015

It's all about perspective

Among other things, I suffer from self-diagnosed body dysmorphia. Basically, I look at myself in the mirror and see something completely different that what I see in pictures.  Mostly its where I think I look better in the mirror than in the picture. So half the time that I think I look great... I don't. So that's that.

It's perspective.

I am a member of several different groups on facebook, ranging from local buy-sale-trade groups to endometriosis support groups. It keeps my newfeed busy and clear of internet fodder that has clouded up facebook (but that's a whole other post) and is quite interesting. I noticed something this morning that caught my eye. It was a group post from an endometriosis support group. A girl was celebrating a flabby stomach. Do you celebrate your flabby stomach? I know I don't and I was momentarily shocked---after all, how could someone be so happy with a flabby flat tire stomach. I had to re-read the comments and the original post to fully understand it. And then I did.

It's perspective.

One unfortunate side effect of endometriosis is that it can cause severe stomach bloating. I'm not completely sure why, but I have experienced it before in the past. Mine has gone away depending on what time of the month it is. However, women with incredibly severe endometriosis (which I do not have. I thought I did, but I have seen/heard worse stories. Much worse. Like I said. It's perspective.) experience abdominal bloating that make them look like they are continually 9 months pregnant. After excision surgery (which I've never had...) the bloating goes down and they are left with a soft, flabby flat tire stoach instead of a stretched, rigid stomach. 

It's perspective.

The ladies are very happy about having this flabby, flat tire of a stomach. I get it. After months of experiencing extreme bloating, they are happy with the change. And as the woman said in the post, I'm happy to have the flat tire stomach, because now I feel good enough to be able to do something about it.

It's all perspective.

Do you have something that you perceive differently than it really it? Sound off below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment