Thursday, September 17, 2015

On the road to surgery: Week 3

This is part four in a series of posts that chronicle the latest installment of my struggle with infertility and endometriosis. This series does contain medical information. I am sharing my story so that others who may experience struggles of infertility know that they are not alone in your struggles. You can read part one here, part two here, and part three here

Just as a reminder, these posts contain medical information. I'm also way oversharing here, but I don't care--it's my blog and I'll write what I want (read in a sassy voice). Thank you in advance for your prayers, your stories, and kind words. The children I see on a daily basis are a huge blessing and keep me going.


August 5, 2015- I went back to Dr. Putman today to see if they cyst had shrunk with the birth control pills. It hadn't. In fact, it grew to 8 cm.  He decided that my best option was going to be surgery to limit the damage to the ovary. Since I have yet to have children, he would do a cystectomy and not an oophorectomy. I also got my blood work results back, and they were less than stellar. I'm vitamin D deficient, my FSH is low and my AMH is high. Basically I'm a pale ginger who doesn't get enough sun and I have a low dwindling egg count.

Let's let that settle in for a second. At 28 I have a low dwindling egg count. I thought this only happened to women in their forties, but I was wrong. It's happened to me. Yet another strike against me becoming a mom.

Que the tiny violins and buy me some cheese to go with my whine. The entire thought of all of this made me sick and depressed. A baby, a family, is something that I've always dreamed of. It's something that I want with a burning desire. And now, another odd is stacked against me.

In the interim, he didn't want to start any treatment for the FSH and AMH levels. He did recommend that I begin taking a vitamin D supplement in addition to the high levels of vitamin D that I get from the prenatals that I'd been taking for the last six months.

August 7, 2015- While working in my classroom, I finally got up the nerve to call about Michael's analysis results. It took a lot of nerve--I dreaded this. Was this going to be another strike against us? The results weren't ready yet, so I was left wondering.

August 11, 2015- I called back about Michael's results. I spent 4 days worrying and mentally beating myself up and I just needed to know. I just knew that it was going to be bad news. I didn't want the bad news.

But God was on our side for this one. We aren't part of the 40%. Any issues we have will just be on me.


We got some bad news and good news this week. It was refreshing to get good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment